Does my brother, who just died, car insurance cover me when driving his car until I get iinsurance changed into my name

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Chicago, IL

Asked on 11/15/2014

Does my brother, who just died, car insurance cover me when driving his car until I get iinsurance changed into my name NULL

Answer given on November 19, 2014

The insurance on your brother’s car should cover you as a driver even though he is deceased. However, you should make sure the insurance policy is not a “named driver” policy, which would only cover drivers listed on the policy. If that is the case, you should call the insurance agent or company and add yourself as a driver of the vehicle. If you are the executor of your brother’s estate, then you would be covered as the executor.You will probably need to wait for the estate to settle before you can change the title of the car to your name, and then you can get insurance on the car in your name. If you are the only heir, then the change may be able to be made sooner than later. It may be a good idea to talk to your brother’s agent or insurance company about the situation. They will work with you to be sure the insurance is properly written for the situation. They should have no problem with you as a driver, unless you have a bad driving record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption