Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Athol, MA

Asked on 08/26/2013


Answer given on October 08, 2013

Most homeowner policies do not cover a mold claim inside of your home. Sometimes mold occurs inside of a home with no other damage to the home. Almost every insurance policy has a specific exclusion for mold damage unless it is part of another loss.The homeowner policy covers your home for sudden and accidental damage. This would include fire, windstorm, hail, vandalism and many more. If you have had a water damage claim that the insurance company has accepted as a covered loss, then an ensuing damage of mold would most likely be part of that covered loss. You will need to talk to the adjuster handling the water damage claim and advise there is now mold occurring inside of your home. They should be willing to investigate this part of the claim.Many insurance companies have a specific limit as to how much they will pay for mold damage and remediation, even if it is a part of a water damage claim. If your policy has this limit, the adjuster should point this out to you. If they do not, ask them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption