Does homeowner’s ins cover sewer pipe damage caused by drilling holes on the outside of your house?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Centerville, CA

Asked on 03/24/2013

Does homeowner’s ins cover sewer pipe damage caused by drilling holes on the outside of your house? We had a private individual drill some holes on the outside of our house, on our property. The next day we realized that the holes were full of water. Our neighbor who specializes in sewer repairs believes that the septic tank was damaged. Should our homeowner's ins cover the damages?

Answer given on April 18, 2013

The homeowner insurance policy covers you for direct damage to the home and contents. If there is water damage to the home due to a plumbing issue, the policy will pay for the damage to the home, but not the pipe involved. Any such loss is subject to the homeowner policy deductible.If you have plumbing issues outside of the home, there is no coverage for this loss or any damage it may cause to your property, other than the home itself.You didn’t indicate what the private individual was doing while drilling the holes in the property. If this was done by a business, such as a plumber or septic system specialist, they would have liability coverage for any damage they cause. If this was simply a neighbor or friend, then you may be able to try to file a claim against their insurance, but it must be proven they were negligent in some way to cause the septic damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption