Does home electrical wire have a depreciation on it when it has to be replaced due to water damage. These are old BX wires that must be replaced due to municipal code when the wall is exposed.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Asked on 06/26/2019

Does home electrical wire have a depreciation on it when it has to be replaced due to water damage. These are old BX wires that must be replaced due to municipal code when the wall is exposed. I took in water down some walls that have old BX outlets. Just want to know if the insurance company will throw a depreciation on getting the outlets fully replaced.

Answer given on June 26, 2019

If the water damage is a covered loss by the homeowner insurance policy, the policy usually includes additional insurance coverage for “code upgrades”. In this case, if the wiring is no longer allowed to be used, then the insurance company should pay to replace the wiring as required by code.  If the entire house needs to be rewired you may have to pay for a part of it, or not.

Talk to the insurance adjuster about the upgrade requirement, as well as talking to your insurance agent, to see if you have this upgrade coverage and if there is a dollar limit, or percentage of the home insurance limit. Of course,  your deductible will apply on all of the above. You should also review your homeowner insurance policy to see if there is coverage. Don’t simply rely on the agent or the adjuster to tell you, as they may not be up to date on the policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption