Do you need to carry insurance on a vehicle owned by your parent that’s registered in another state?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Toledo, OH

Asked on 11/18/2014

Do you need to carry insurance on a vehicle owned by your parent that’s registered in another state? I own a vehicle currently being used by my adult son. The vehicle is registered in Ohio (where the owner resides) but is being driven in Florida. Does the Florida driver (who does not own any vehicle) also need to carry insurance on the vehicle? or does the driver just need to carry Liability Insurance?

Answer given on November 19, 2014

The owner of a car should insure that car and list the driver who will be using the car on a regular basis. Most insurance companies want the car to be insured where it is garaged, since states have differing laws regarding insurance. Even though you live in another state, you can have the mailing address at your residence, but insure the car in Florida. The driving record of your son will be considered when the car is insured. Also, many insurance companies only insure drivers who are listed on the policy, so again be sure to list the drivers of the car.Another issue for insuring the car where it is garaged, some states are “no fault” states, which is a different type of insurance. Florida is one of the no fault states, so again, insuring the car in the state where it is garaged is the best way to handle the insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption