do you need a special permit or license to drive a trike in washington state?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Colbert, WA

Asked on 07/15/2010

do you need a special permit or license to drive a trike in washington state? NULL

Answer given on July 20, 2010

From the Washington State Licensing website:


How to get a sidecar/trike endorsement

3-wheel vehicle requirements

If you ride a 3-wheel vehicle in Washington, you must get a sidecar/trike endorsement unless your vehicle meets all of the following requirements:

  • The seat is in a partially or completely enclosed seating area.
  • The vehicle is equipped with safety belts.
  • The vehicle is steered with a steering wheel.

How to get your sidecar/trike endorsement

There are 2 ways to get a sidecar/trike endorsement:

  • If you don’t take an approved rider course , you must pass the sidecar/trike knowledge test to get an instruction permit (different than the 2-wheel motorcycle test), and pass the sidecar/trike riding test to get your endorsement.
  • If you complete and pass an approved rider course at a sidecar/trike training school , bring your completion card to any driver licensing office within 180 days to have the knowledge and riding tests waived.

It’s different than the motorcycle endorsement test. 


Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption