Do I really owe my insurance company on my home for not paying for months and then cancelling.What if my house had burned down, would they have paid

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Agua Dulce, CA

Asked on 06/29/2011

Do I really owe my insurance company on my home for not paying for months and then cancelling.What if my house had burned down, would they have paid After my re-fi my direct withdrawal somehow got cancelled. They say i owe them $567. I got new insurance from another company and that company cancelled the old one. As far as i see it I was without insurance for 5 months so why should I pay them. I had no idea and if my house burned down would they have put my house back together since i had not paid a premium for months

Answer given on July 27, 2011

If your policy was on a direct withdrawal, and it stopped, the insurance company should have sent you notices that you were past due, and then send a cancellation notice. Usually that works out to about a 30 day grace period. However, if they did not send a notice of cancellation, they would have been responsible for a loss.If you replaced your insurance in that time, then you should send the old company a copy of your new policy. That is proof of replacement insurance, and should establish the date of cancellation for the old company.However, if you were without insurance for any period of time, your lender could charge you for that time frame as they would have had to pay for insurance on the home during that time. It is probably cheaper to pay your old company for the time between the payments stopped and you replaced your insurance. Your agent should also be able to help you in determining if the old company sent any notices of cancellation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption