Do I need insurance with my name in it to get my restricted license?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Louisville, KY

Asked on 10/23/2012

Do I need insurance with my name in it to get my restricted license? The car itself has insurance on it already, but it's with my dad's name in it, but not mine, and I'm trying to get my restricted license, and they need the insurance card. Does it have to be in my name?

Answer given on October 30, 2012

If you have a restricted license and the DMV requires proof of insurance to allow the license to be active, you need to see what the DMV requires. They may allow you to be listed as a driver under your father’s insurance policy. if so, then you need to be added to his policy as a listed driver. The insurance company will then send evidence of insurance to the DMV on your behalf. however, your driving record will affect your father’s insurance costs. In addition, there is a charge by the insurance company to make the filing to the DMV.If your father will not add you to the policy due to the additional costs, you can purchase a ‘named non owned policy”. This is an insurance policy that names you as an insured person, even though you do not own a car. It is less expensive than a policy on a specific car, but its costs are based on your driving record. Ask your agent for a quote for this insurance policy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption