do I have to accept that my car is totaled and can I recinde my claim no structure or frame damage only body nicks and dents and back window shattered it was stolen and recovered 2 weeks later

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Mission, AZ

Asked on 11/14/2018

do I have to accept that my car is totaled and can I recinde my claim no structure or frame damage only body nicks and dents and back window shattered it was stolen and recovered 2 weeks later I live in Arizona and my 2010 Chevy Camaro was stolen has a shattered window and a balance of $50000 Insurance is Sentry/Dairy land and the car has no other damage tostructure or the frame

Answer given on December 12, 2018

Your vehicle, being a 2010, is not going to have an actual cash value of $50k or above with any insurance company, even if  you have some special equipment. You need to check with car dealers and the Kelly Blue Book to determine what the current value of your car is. Then figure the cost of your repairs and see if you are close to it being considered a total loss. I’m surprised you were even able to find a lender for this amount on such an old car.

You can probably withdraw the claim on your car if the insurance company still considers it a total loss, but they will most likely refuse to continue to insure it for collision coverage.  Since you have a loan, you will then have to find other insurance on the car as the bank will require this. Maybe they can find insurance for collision, but it will be expensive and will most likely only protect their investment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption