Do I have insurable interest in Indiana?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Brownstown, IN

Asked on 05/08/2011

Do I have insurable interest in Indiana? We have a signed purchase agreement, and was scheduled to close April 19, 2011. Bank required paid homeowners insurance policy before closing. Tree fell on house after effective date of policy and before closing.(still have not closed yet) The house is a HUD home and has no insurance on it other than maybe mine.

Answer given on May 11, 2011

While you have an interest in the property, there is no legal, insurable interest in the property.  If title had been transferred, you would have an interest in the property.  However, since title, or closing had not happened, you have no legal interest in the property.

I would think that HUD would have some insurance on the property, even if it is a “blanket” policy on the property, or if it is self insured.  I would not want to think the US Government does not insure the properties they own, or control without some sort of insurance.  Please seek advice from your HUD contact or mortgage broker to discuss this.

You should also discuss this with you insurance agent.  The insurance company ay decide there is an insurable interest since you were waiting for the closing and had full intent to own the property

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption