damages caused by live-in boyfriend

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lincoln, NE

Asked on 10/01/2012

damages caused by live-in boyfriend If you are living with someone, and the relationship goes bad and they do damage to the homeowner's property, will it be covered? Or is the homeowner responsible, since they are letting the person live there?

Answer given on October 02, 2012

If there is damage done to your personal property by someone who lives at the residence, there could be coverage for your damaged property.If the other party is listed on the homeowner or renters insurance policy, and they do damage to the personal property then there would not be coverage under the policy. There is no coverage for intentional damage to property caused by an insured.If the other person is not listed on the policy, then your policy could pay for the damages. However, the policy deductible will apply and yoiu may be asked to file charges against the other party. If you are willing to do this, and the deductible does not exceed the damages, then you could file a claim.Be aware that filing a claim could affect your premium costs, since you could lose a loss free discount. Ask your agent or insurance company what the discount is and make sure it is worth the additional cost to file the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption