Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Kemp, TX

Asked on 02/26/2017

coverage If I loan my vehicle to a friend who has no insurance but has a legal DL, if they have an accident in my vehicle will my insurance still cover?

Answer given on March 07, 2017

In most instances, when you lend your vehicle to a licensed friend, your insurance will cover any accident that occurs while they are driving. There are some insurance companies that only cover listed drivers on the policy, you need to check with your insurance company and/or review your policy to see if that restriction applies. If not, and there is an accident caused by the permissive driver, your insurance policy will pay for damages and injuries, up to the policy limits, for such injury or damage. If you have collision coverage on your car, your policy will pay for those damages, less your deductible. Your insurance rates should not be affected, but some insurance companies do surcharge if there is an accident, even if not your fault. Again, check with your agent or company about this.It is possible that your insurance company will ask for information on the other driver. Presuming the friend does not regularly borrow your car there should be no further issue. If they use the car regularly you may have to add them to your policy as a driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption