Coordination of Benefits for Home claims

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Milton, FL

Asked on 07/16/2010

Coordination of Benefits for Home claims My house was hit by lightening which broke three computers, the router, the big screen TV, and two trees. I have a home owners policy with a $1,000 deductible and service policies on several of the electronic items to include the TV. I understand how health insurance does coordination of benefits. Is there a similar process with homeowner's policies. Can I claim all damage on my homeowners policy. Then file a claim with my service plan to cover what the other policy did not cover, to cover the $1,000 deductible (i.e., the TV and computers). I'm not looking for double coverage.

Answer given on July 17, 2010

Generally, homeowner insurance will not pay for a claim that is covered by another insurance. This would include the service policies you have on your electronics.  You should discuss the loss with your agent and adjuster to see how your insurance company will work.However, sometimes service policies will not cover electronics for losses such as lightening, so check into that.   If the nsurance company is secondary, you will need to file with the service policies first and then see what is left for the homeowner policy.  It sounds like you may have electrical problems within the home, not just on the items that were damaged, so be sure to have an electrician check out your home to make sure you are properly reimbursed for your losses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption