Contractor will not pay the full value of my personal belonging, what can i do about it?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Austell, GA

Asked on 10/14/2011

Contractor will not pay the full value of my personal belonging, what can i do about it? I am having remodeling done to my home in the process without my knowledge i didn't know the workers were going to move my things out of the house. In the process of moving my stuff back in some of my personal belonging were ruined. The owner of the company will not pay what the items are worth. What can i do about this? I have unique things from different countries

Answer given on October 19, 2011

If your personal property was damaged while a contractor was on the job, and he caused the damage to the property, his insurance should cover the damage.It appears the contractor does not want to turn this into his insurance company in fear of his rates being affected. However, he really is required to do so. You should ask who his insurance company is. If you have a certificate of insurance for the project, it should show who his insurance company is. You can then contact them directly for your claim.If you cannot get the information from the contractor, or you didn’t get evidence of insurance from him before he started the job, you may be able to get the information from the licensing board, presuming the contractor is licensed. Sometimes you can go online and get insurance information from the board, or you may need to call them. If you do call them, explain the situation, as they may well take action against the contractor for his unwillingness to handle your claim properly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption