Claim Question

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Columbus, OH

Asked on 08/13/2012

Claim Question My vehicle, was involved in a really small accident that my boyfriend drove my car because I was at work, so small only my license plate was dented, the other driver that was involved that day said there was no damage done to there car, well now I get a notice from there insurance company saying there is damages and coming after me for money, do I have any rights? I'm not disputing my car being there, I know it is my, but they won't complete details on this accident, and other info but I was not there, before I give my info. Am I able to ask them what they are after me for damage wise? Thanks

Answer given on August 16, 2012

In auto insurance the insurance coverage follows the car. That means even though your boyfriend was driving the car, your insurance will be the insurance coverage for an at fault accident.If the other insurance company has contacted you for the damages to the other party’s car, you need to report the claim to your insurance company. Call your agent or company and give them the details of the accident, and explain that you were not the driver. Your insurance company will then handle the claim with the other insurance company. Give them the information for the other insurance company so they can get to work with them.Your rates will not be affected unless yoiur boyfriend is listed on your policy as a driver. His insurance will be affected if the damage is over an certain amount. If your boyfriend does not have other insurance, then your company may want to add him to your policy going forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption