Car titled out of state

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Middletown, MD

Asked on 02/08/2011

Car titled out of state My son is 18 , He is going to college and won't have a car his first year and a family friend out of state offered for him to borrow a car until he goes to school in August. How should we insure the vehicle for 5 months.

Answer given on February 10, 2011

The car being lent to your son needs to be insured by the owner of the vehicle.  If the friend is the owner, they must insure the car under their insurance.  They should list your son as a driver, but since he will only be using the car for 5 months, they may decide not to do so. 

If your son has an at fault accident in the car, the insurance company will pay for the loss, but they will then most likely want your son added as a driver on the policy.  However, it may be that there will be no incidents and your son will have free use of a car for 5 months.

If the friend wants the insurance under your son’s name, then they will need to transfer the title to his name and then you or your son will need to purchase the insurance.  Once he has gone away to school you can transfer the title back to the friend and they can begin to insure it.  When you cancel your policy you will be refunded any unearned policy premium.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption