Can they make it to where I can’t drive my fathers vehicles?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Oklahoma City, OK

Asked on 11/24/2013

Can they make it to where I can’t drive my fathers vehicles? I got in an accident and totaled the car. the cars covered under my fathers insurance. He told me that if he files a claim or gets the car replaced they'll make him sign a piece of paper saying I'm not aloud to drive any of his vehicles again. Is that true can they do that? He's covered by state farm of Oklahoma. PLEASE HELP!

Answer given on November 25, 2013

Insurance companies can, and do, exclude drivers under a policy due to their driving record and age. Usually they will not do this for one accident, unless there are other circumstances. If you do not live at home, then they could decide you don’t need to drive the car. Also, if you have your own insurance they may choose to exclude you from the policy. Since you were involved in the accident that totaled the car, it may be that the accident was major enough for the insurance company to make this decision. If you have other accidents or tickets that would also be a factor.If he does not file a claim then the insurance company really shouldn’t exclude you if he gets another car. If they are making that decision, he may as well file the claim since it sounds like they intend to exclude you no matter what. You could then get an inexpensive car and buy your own insurance for that car so that you will have transportation of your own and not put your father at risk since any accident in his vehicle goes against his liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption