can the other drivers insurance company sue me?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Hialeah, FL

Asked on 09/20/2011

can the other drivers insurance company sue me? i was in an accident recently and at the time i did not have insurance. now the other drivers insurance company is going to pay for the damages can they sue me or make me pay it? am i obligated?

Answer given on September 23, 2011

If you are driving a car you are required by law to have insurance. If you were in an accident, and were at fault in the incident, then the other insurance company can come after you for any damages they have paid to their policyholder. This is called subrogation and is very standard in the insurance industry. Since you caused the accident you are obligated to reimburse them.Insurance is sometimes expensive, depending upon one’s driving record, but it is much more expensive if you have an accident and are uninsured. You can lose your license and perhaps have jail time if there is an injury. When you then go out and get insurance you have additional insurance costs – for the accident and your company will probably have to file forms with the DMV proving you have insurance. States usually require this filing for three years, and sometimes longer. I recommend that you get insurance right away to work on getting these problems behind you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption