Can my insurance company refuse to take me off my and my wifes auto policy after a dwi? even though I no longer own a car or have a license?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Apalachin, NY

Asked on 07/26/2012

Can my insurance company refuse to take me off my and my wifes auto policy after a dwi? even though I no longer own a car or have a license? I'm on an auto policy with my wife, last year I was arrested for dwi. now the rate are thru the roof... I called to take myself off of the policy but they refused. I'm not a licensed driver and I have no vehicles in my name or registered to me. my wife owns her own car and the loan is in her name, nothing is in my name.. can the insurance company deny to cancel me? I've never heard of this

Answer given on July 26, 2012

If you do not have a license, your insurance company should not refuse to remove you from the policy. I presume your license has been suspended due to your ticket, so continuing to insure you makes no sense, unless there is some law in your state. It seems the company is trying to keep the insurance premiums high due to your record.You may have to try again to get yourself removed and say that you will sign an exclusion. This would be written evidence that you are not covered if you use the car. You and your wife will probably need to sign the exclusion. If the company continues to refuse to remove you, you should ask to speak to a supervisor. If that does not work, you may need to contact your Dept of Insurance and see if they can assist you. That is not the easiest way to go, so try to work things out with your insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption