Can insurance carrier cancel my insurance because my 20 yr old daughter lives with me and had an accident in November while under the influence?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Fairmont, MN

Asked on 01/28/2014

Can insurance carrier cancel my insurance because my 20 yr old daughter lives with me and had an accident in November while under the influence? She was just moving back to my house from college the night of the accident. She was driving her own car. Just now, my agent tells me they are cancelling my insurance because she claims my address as her home address.

Answer given on February 15, 2014

If your daughter is living at your home and using your vehicle, then your insurance company can decide to non renew your insurance due to this change in exposure.However, if your daughter has her own car and insurance, then your insurance company should be willing to continue your insurance provided that you sign an exclusion for your daughter. This would provide no insurance on your car if it is used by your daughter for any reason. If you are ok with this, contact your insurance agent and ask if you can have your daughter excluded from your policy. They should be willing to do this, since she has her own insurance. It should not matter that she is living at your residence.If they refuse to do this, ask for a supervisor as most insurance companies are willing to exclude drivers as long as they are not on the registration of the vehicle in question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption