Can I purchase insurance on a car that isn’t titled to me?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Murfreesboro, TN

Asked on 03/23/2013

Can I purchase insurance on a car that isn’t titled to me? NULL

Answer given on March 27, 2013

Auto insurance should be written in the name of the registered owner of the car in question. If you are a regular driver of the car, you should e listed as a driver on that policy and the rates are based on your driving record, age and marital status. If you insure a car that you do not own, and have a major accident, the insurance company can deny coverage since you do not have an insurable interest in the car.If you are listed as a driver on a car owned by someone else, it is their liability that is exposed in the event of a loss. If this person is not a family member, they should carefully decide if they want to have that exposure. An alternative would be to title the car to you, and if you owe them money, they can be added as loss payee on the policy. They should also require you to have physical damage coverage on the car, so they are protected if you have an accident that damages or totals the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption