Can I make a claim on my vehicle that was in an accident by a unlicensed/insured driver?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Furlong, PA

Asked on 12/02/2010

Can I make a claim on my vehicle that was in an accident by a unlicensed/insured driver? NULL

Answer given on December 03, 2010

I am presuming the accident you had was with an unlicensed driver in another car.  If that is the case, your insurance will pay for your damages under the collision insurance coverage, less your deductible.  If you were injured, your policy includes uninsured motorist coverage, which would pay for your injuries, up to the limits in your policy.

If you do not carry collision coverage on your car, and you have the information on the uninsured driver, your policy may include uninsured motorist property damage coverage, which will pay for repairs to your car, up to a certain limit.  In may states that limit is $3,500.  Talk to your insurance agent to see what insurance coverage you have and the best way to present your claim.

If your insurance company pays for repairs to your car, and they are able to get reimbursement from the unlicensed driver, you may be able to get part or all of your deductible back.  Again talk to your agent or adjuster.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption