Can I file an insurance claim for a dui hit and run with just a police report and the license plate number of the person who hit me?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Los Angeles, CA

Asked on 03/23/2012

Can I file an insurance claim for a dui hit and run with just a police report and the license plate number of the person who hit me? The person old neighbor that hit me ran after I wrote down the plates so I called 911 and made the dui report but the police didn't get there until 8 hours later. By that time I wasn't home. So the day after the guy hit me ,he came back to speak to me. He said he was drunk and didn't know what to do, he said he would pay me and he gave me half of what it would cost and the other half in a week. It's been 2 and a half months and he changed his phone number and he moved out a week after the accident. Is there anyway I can file an insurance claim to get my car fixed just w/just the plate #?

Answer given on March 25, 2012

When you are involved in an accident, and can or cannot identify the other party, you should file a police report regarding the claim. Since you knew the other party had been drinking, you should have filed the report even though the police came much later. They probably already have a record of the incident on file. You should call them and complete the report of the incident.After doing this, call your insurance agent or company to report the claim. Tell them you have reported the accident to the police. The insurance company, with the help of the police can probably locate the owner of the vehicle based on the license plate number. The insurance company will then work with you to arrange to repair your car, less your deductible. If they are able to find the other party and can subrogate for the damages to your car, they will refund your deductible. You may have to explain why you waited so long to report the incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption