Can I collect under my homeowners policy if I sell the home before the assessment for damages is issued?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Naples, FL

Asked on 02/22/2018

Can I collect under my homeowners policy if I sell the home before the assessment for damages is issued? Our condo association has been working on getting estimates for damage resulting from Hurricane Irma. No assessment has been issued to date. We are selling our condo and will close in 3 weeks. Who is responsible for paying assessment after we are no longer the owner of record? Will our homeowners policy still cover assessments after condo is sold?

Answer given on February 24, 2018

If there is an assessment from the Condominium association for damage that occurred while you owned the condominium unit, you are most likely still responsible for the assessment for that unit. If you are responsible, your insurance company should pay the assessment, up to the amount covered by the insurance policy.  You should review your insurance policy to see what the limit is for assessments, as you may not have enough insurance to cover the full assessment.  You then may want to review everything with an attorney or real estate agent to be sure everyone is on board with the issues.  You may want to put your insurance company on notice that an assessment is in the works.  That way there is no question that the claim has been filed.  You do not need to inform them of the sale, since it is possible that the sale could fall through for some reason. If the sale is completed you have still advised your insurance company of the pending claim and there should be no issues involved in the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption