Can I buy insurance on a truck I don’t own

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Apache Junction, AZ

Asked on 08/16/2012

Can I buy insurance on a truck I don’t own Truck is financed and titled in my husband and his fathers names. Husband died 4 months ago.. Insurance is in his name with me as a driver. Can I get insurance on it in my name alone? If I have a claim will they pay it if they find out he's deceased?

Answer given on August 19, 2012

Auto insurance should be in the name of the titled person. You say it is titled to your deceased husband and his father – if the father is still alive then the insurance should be put in his name for now. If he is deceased, then talk to the insurance company. Usually the policy can remain in effect and the heirs or trustees of an estate can be confirmed as the insured until the title gets settled. You may want to park the truck until you determine how the insurance will handle a claim. Since you are listed on the policy there will be coverage in the event of an accident, but the claim check may be issued to your husband unless the estate portion will cover it.If the truck is financed you need to talk to the finance company and see if they will put you on the loan. If so, then you can put the policy in your name and there will be no problems. Unless you have a credit problem there should be no issue to change the title.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption