Can I ask from the at fault insured’s insurance company payment of my auto ins deductible? My auto was totaled, I was not at fault.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Oak Lawn, IL

Asked on 03/13/2013

Can I ask from the at fault insured’s insurance company payment of my auto ins deductible? My auto was totaled, I was not at fault. NULL

Answer given on March 18, 2013

If your car was damaged by another party the insurance company for the other party should pay for the repairs of your car, or the actual cash value of the car if it was considered a total loss.If you went through your insurance company for the repairs or settlement of the car, then your insurance company will pay you for the actual cash value of your car, less your deductible. When the claim is settled with your, your insurance company will go to the other insurance company to get reimbursement for the amount of the damage to your car. If they are successful, you will get your deductible refunded by your insurance company.If the other company refuses payment, or only offers a partial payment reimbursement to your insurance company, you will get a reduced refund of your deductible. Your adjuster should have explained this to you while settling your claim.You should be able to contact the subrogation department from your insurance company to see about the status of your claim. This portion of a claim can take time, so you may have to be patient in obtaining your deductible refund.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption