can an insurance co. give me an estimate for damage then turn around and say were not paying you settle it with the driver

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Cayuse, OR

Asked on 11/23/2012

can an insurance co. give me an estimate for damage then turn around and say were not paying you settle it with the driver driver at faults ins. co .says there not paying me after we agreed on the phone of $900 damage say I have to collect from the driver who lives in another state

Answer given on December 17, 2012

If you were in an accident and the other driver was at fault, you are entitled to a settlemment from the other driver’s insurance. You indicate that you had a phone conversation with the adjuster who offered an amount that you agreed upon, but then recanted.You need to call the insurance company and find out why they have decided not to settle the claim with you. It is possible the policy was not in force at the time of the accident, or that the other driver gave a statement saying they were not at fault. Have the adjuster explain their change of the decision. If they refuse, ask to speak to a supervisor.You do have the option to go through your insurance company for the repairs, presuming the damage is over your deductible. Your company, after paying for the repairs, will subrogate against the other insurance company and if successful you will get your deductible returned. They can also find out why the other insurance company decided not to settle the claim with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption