Can a person with an out of state drivers license get auto insurance in a different state ?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Pointblank, TX

Asked on 06/10/2010

Can a person with an out of state drivers license get auto insurance in a different state ? NULL

Answer given on June 10, 2010

I am presuming you have moved from one state to another.  If that is the case, you can purchase car insurance in your new state even if you have a driver’s license from another state.  the insurance company will expect you to obtain a new drivers license in your new home state within a certain period of time.  Your agent will most likely contact you after 30 to 60 days asking for your new license number in the new state.  Also, the state you have moved to has rules about how long you have to get a license.  The state’s rules do not affect your auto insurance, but it is easier for the insurance company to keep up with your driving record if your license is in the state where your car is insured.

If you are not living in the new state, I am wondering why you would want to insure the car in the second state.  If you are a student in the new state, and are not living there year round, you can keep your insurance in the previous state, since you will be coming back to the original state for the summer. It would be too complicated to change your insurance back and forth based on where you are at different times of the year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption