Brand new furniture was destroyed due to a fire in the back of a rented pickup truck. Will my insurance cover my furniture and the rented truck?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Black Horse, PA

Asked on 08/21/2014

Brand new furniture was destroyed due to a fire in the back of a rented pickup truck. Will my insurance cover my furniture and the rented truck? Please help... I never even got to open my furniture out of the wrapping.

Answer given on August 26, 2014

If there was a fire that destroyed a rented vehicle your insurance company may pay for the damages to the truck, depending upon what caused the fire. If it was a vehicle malfunction they may deny coverage on the truck, since it was caused through no fault of yours. You need to work with the insurance company to be sure you are protected if the rental company tries to come back to you for the cost of the truck. If the fire was caused by something that you did, then the insurance company will pay for the damages, or if the truck is a total loss, they will pay the actual cash value of the truck.Your personal property that was destroyed in the fire will be covered under your homeowner insurance policy, less the deductible. Since the property was new there will be no depreciation issues at all. Again, if the fire was due to a malfunction of the truck, the insurance company may subrogate against them for the personal property. If they are successful then you will get your deductible back from the insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption