Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Klein, TX

Asked on 06/24/2014

Progressive grossly underpaid for my wreck truck.The other driver insurance, Progressive, gave me a check way under the estimates that I acquired. Progressive grossly underpaid for my wreck truck.The other driver insurance, Progressive, gave me a check way under the estimates that I acquired from other body shops by over a thousand dollars. What are my choices?Do I have to take what they pay or can I appeal it?They told me that I could take that or that their body shop could fix it.

Answer given on June 24, 2014

The insurance company cannot demand that you go to their body shop. However, you may get a better warranty on the work if you do. If your body shop is higher, you will have to have them prove that the costs are higher. If the insurance company has a lower estimate for the same work, then they will not pay the higher amount unless your body shop can prove why the costs are higher.Talk to your body shop and see why they are asking so much more for the repair work. If you are ok with what they say, have them call the adjuster to discuss their cost differences. If the difference cannot be worked out, then you may have to either pay the difference out of pocket or go to another body shop for the work. You may also try to speak to a supervisor to see if they will agree to pay a higher amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.