my mother is deceased , I am on her insurance policy

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Haverhill, FL

Asked on 06/23/2016

my mother is deceased , I am on her insurance policy My mother just passed away , the title is still in her name. I am on her insurance policy but have not informed the insurance company of her passing. She does have an estate ,which my brother is executor, I did go to DMV they gave me a form for my brother to sign so he can relinquish his half of the vehicle but he is out of town. As I am on her policy is it ok for me to drive her car until the title is transferred to me. Of course I know I can drive it but if I get into an accident what happens. Again I am on her policy but it is in her name.

Answer given on June 25, 2016

In auto insurance the insurance follows the car. If there is an accident, then the insurance company covering your mother’s vehicle will pay for damages and injuries if you cause an accident. It is also a “plus” that you are listed on the policy as a driver, since some insurance companies restrict their coverage to listed drivers.You can continue to drive your mother’s car until things can be settle as far as ownership goes. However, when you transfer the title, you will need to get a new insurance policy in your name. If you already have insurance on another car, you can add the car to your policy. If you do not have a policy you will have to get one. A good starting point may be with the company that insures the car now. They have a record of your driving experience so may offer the best rate. However, it is always good to shop around. If you have a homeowner insurance policy, or renters policy that company may offer a discount for having both car and home with them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption