My insurance rate increased because my son got a speeding ticket even though he's not on my policy.he has his own.can they do that

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 28, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Edgemoor, DE

Asked on 05/28/2017

My insurance rate increased because my son got a speeding ticket even though he's not on my policy.he has his own.can they do that Travelers insurance raised my premium.My son got a speeding ticket.He has aaa. Can they legally do that.He does live with me.

Answer given on May 31, 2017

If your insurance increased due to a ticket your son got, you can dispute the surcharge.  You will need to provide proof of other insurance for your son.  Even if he lives with you, your insurance company should remove the surcharge since he is paying for separate insurance.  The insurance companies cannot duplicate surcharges on separate policies. Sometimes insurance companies want to list all drivers in the household, but if there is separate insurance they still cannot duplicate the surcharge.

If your insurance company refuses to drop the surcharge, ask to speak to a supervisor and explain the situation.  If that does not work, call the Dept of Insurance as they can work with you to get this charge removed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption