Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Milford, CT

Asked on 09/25/2015

liability Hi, Our 34 year old daughter lives with us and is listed on our USAA policy along with my wife and I as a driver [with a clean record]. Does that mean she can drive any of our 3 cars at any time and be fully covered? If she has a very bad accident would she be covered under our 1 million dollar umbrella policy as well? Instead, would it be better if I just transferred one of our cars to her and had her get her own auto insurance policy?.

Answer given on September 27, 2015

If your daughter lives with you and is listed under your automobile policy, she is covered to drive any car in the household.If she causes an accident, she would be covered under the automobile policy and under the umbrella policy. You should be sure that the umbrella insurance company knows she is a driver in the household, but normally the umbrella policy is a “following form” policy, which means they follow the coverage of the underlying auto and homeowner coverage.If you transfer ownership of one of the cars to her name, she will need to get separate insurance. She may be eligible for discounts if you keep her insured with the same insurance company, but she will lose the multi car discount that you have for your cars. If you keep her insured under your policies please remember it is your liability if she causes a major accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption