Insuring someone else to drive my car

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Darnestown, MD

Asked on 10/18/2015

Insuring someone else to drive my car I have a car garaged in my secondary dwelling where my 23 yo son lives full time I want him legally covered to drive my car but we don't live under the sameroof is it best to try to add him to my policy or should he get his own independent coverage or both ?

Answer given on October 19, 2015

Since your son lives in your secondary home and can use the car, you should add him to your automobile insurance policy. This will prevent any questions or issues if he should cause an accident. If he does cause an accident, the liability will be on you and your insurance. A major incident can cause you a financial loss if you do not have high enough liability limits. The premium would also be increased, since he would be a rated driver on the policy.You can also just have him get insurance on the car himself. He would need to transfer the title of the car to his name if this were to occur. This will prevent you from being held liable for any accident he causes. However, if you are getting a multi car discount, he would lose that discount, as well as any discount you may be receiving for being a long term client. Either way, his driving record and age will affect the cost of the insurance. Get quotes from your agent for both options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption