If I am technically at fault because I am in someone’s lane of travel when they hit me, but they have an expired license, will I still have penalties?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lowell, MA

Asked on 11/04/2013

If I am technically at fault because I am in someone’s lane of travel when they hit me, but they have an expired license, will I still have penalties? I was taking a left turn and they were stopped. they go. hit me before I can stop. according to MA laws... apparently nothing matters but that I was in her lane.

Answer given on November 06, 2013

If you cause an auto accident, then your insurance should pay for any damages or injuries that you cause. By turning left in front of the other driver, you were the cause of the accident.Even if the other driver does not have a valid drivers license, this does not change the fact that you caused the accident. An expired license can be a simple oversight by the other driver and they would not be involved in the cause of the accident. The police could cite the other driver for not having a valid license but that would be about all that would be involved.You should report the incident to your insurance company and let them contact the other driver to work a settlement for the accident. They will review the incident and if you are determined to be at fault, they will pay for the repairs to the other car as well as to your car, if you have collision insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption