I am buying a home in 32504 this 08/21. Last Friday I saw a **** in my windshield. Can I wait till I close on my house in Florida to fix it?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Pensacola, FL

Asked on 08/17/2015

I am buying a home in 32504 this 08/21. Last Friday I saw a **** in my windshield. Can I wait till I close on my house in Florida to fix it? my current auto insurance is in Georgia but I no longer own that home & will be switching to Florida coverage this week....the cracked windshield just happened driving from my soon to be home back to my temporary address with my son in Alabama.

Answer given on August 21, 2015

If you have had damage to your windshield, you can wait to repair it until you are settled in your new home. However, the claim needs to be filed with your current insurance company in Georgia, since that is where you had the insurance coverage at the time of the loss. You cannot wait, obtain new insurance in Florida, and then file the claim. It would also not look good on your record to start a new policy and immediately file a claim.Windshield damage is covered under comprehensive, and is subject to that deductible unless you have a separate glass deductible. Such a claim does not affect your insurance rates so there should be no fear in filing a claim. Many times you can contact a glass repair facility directly and give them your insurance information. They will then file the claim and can come to you to repair the windshield. At that time they will get payment for your deductible and send a bill to your insurance company for the balance. It should be quite simple.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption