Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Houston, TX

Asked on 12/27/2012


Answer given on December 29, 2012

If someone is injured or killed in an auto accident, the insurance company that covers the driver who caused the accident will pay for the injuries. I fhtere is a death, then the insurance company will work with the claimant for the settlement for the death.The insurance liability limits, under bodily injury, are the maximum that the insurance company must pay for the claim. If there are multiple injuries, the policy may have a limit per person that would apply. If the liability limit is called a “combined single limit”, then that is the maximum amount to be paid for the total amount of loss, including property damage.The adjuster for the responsible driver should contact the claimant to start the settlement process. The claimant needs to be aware of the policy limits for the responsible driver while working out a settlement. In addition, if the other driver (who was the victim) may be able to submit a claim under their uninsured/underinsured insurance. This can be used as additional settlement if the policy limits for the responsible driver are not sufficient to settle the claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.