Aside from the HOA’s Master Policy, should I carry individual insurance on my townhouse unit (regarding my unit only, not coverage of contents).

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Clemson, SC

Asked on 02/29/2012

Aside from the HOA’s Master Policy, should I carry individual insurance on my townhouse unit (regarding my unit only, not coverage of contents). My townhouse is part of a PUD. The restrictions (CCRs) require the HOA to obtain a group policy equal to the full replacement value of the project and require a "replacement cost endorsement providing for replacement of a dwelling from insurance proceeds." Does the master policy cover the "bare walls-in also?" The HOA will not give me a clear answer.

Answer given on March 05, 2012

The CC&Rs of the association should indicate what is covered by the insurance. There should be a definition page describing the unit. Also, in the insurance section of the CC&Rs there should be something listed as to what is considered the property the Association is responsible to insure. Usually, the association will cover to the bare walls in, making the unit owner responsible for the interior of the unit that includes flooring, wall coverings, kitchen and bath fixtures and cabinets. Since each unit owner updates their respective units in their own manner, it would be difficult for the association to determine the replacement cost of each unit and properly insure it.The HOA should be able to confirm or deny what is covered. If they will not respond, you should attend an association meeting and ask at the meeting what is insured by the association and, presuming you get an answer, ask that they put it in the minutes and get a copy for your records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption