As a homeowner, can I get renters insurance to protect my personal belongings on top of my home insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Houston, TX

Asked on 02/04/2015

As a homeowner, can I get renters insurance to protect my personal belongings on top of my home insurance? NULL

Answer given on March 26, 2015

If you have a homeowner insurance policy that policy not only covers damages to the home but it includes coverage for your personal property.The amount of personal property coverage is usually a percentage of the amount of insurance on the home. Normally this is 50% to 75%, depending upon the insurance company involved. You can purchase additional coverage if you feel the amount included is not sufficient. However, you cannot reduce the amount of contents that is automatically provided.The insurance coverage is more limited than that is provided for the home itself. The insurance is known as “named perils” , that means the damages covered are listed, or named in the policy. The main coverages are fire, theft, vandalism, vehicle (a car striking the home and damaging the personal property), windstorm, hail, water damage, but not flood damage, aircraft. Some insurance companies provide additional coverages. You should review your policy or talk to your agent or insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption