Am I legally responsible to pay for the damages to the parked truck I hit? Or is he responsible to take care of the damages himself through insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Houston, TX

Asked on 01/10/2013

Am I legally responsible to pay for the damages to the parked truck I hit? Or is he responsible to take care of the damages himself through insurance? I hit a parked car. I am licensed but my mother's insurance policy doesn't cover me as a driver so they denied our claim and wont pay for damages to neither vehicles. What should I do?

Answer given on November 18, 2013

If you strike another car while driving, you are responsible for the damages you cause.Your mother’s insurance apparently excludes you as a driver under her policy, so her insurance company has denied coverage under her policy. Presumably she gave you permission to use her car, knowing there was no coverage. Since it was her car involved she is technically responsible for the accident. However, if she did not know you took her car, then the damages to the other car could be covered. Of course, you could be charged with car theft, so she should be careful denying permission.You should contact the other car owner and try to set up a payment plan to fix their car. If they had insurance, they can go to their insurance company to pay for the repairs, and then their insurance company will come after you or your mother for the cost of the repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption