After the claim is settled between my company and person I rear ended,can a company representing their insurance company ask for more reimbursement?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Kathleen, GA

Asked on 01/25/2015

After the claim is settled between my company and person I rear ended,can a company representing their insurance company ask for more reimbursement? I rear ended someone in 2014. There was no way to stop in time. At first they stated they were not sure I had insurance which did. Then it stated if I didn't to contact them to set payment. My insurance company said the case was settled and they should contact my company. Today I get a final notice from this company. What should we do?

Answer given on January 27, 2015

If you caused an auto accident and had insurance on the car, you should report the incident to your insurance company and let them handle the settlement with the other insurance company.You indicate that you were told the accident was settled but that you received a final notice from the other insurance company. You should call the other insurance company and refer them to your insurance company. You should also call your insurance company and tell them you have received a final notice from the other company. That way they will both be aware of the situation and can proceed with closing out the claim. If you have a name of an adjuster from either or both insurance companies be sure to provide that information to each company, as well as any claim number. It will help them connect the incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption