Accidently Bathroom sink overflow. Will it be covered by my Condo Inusrance

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Vista, CA

Asked on 07/26/2013

Accidently Bathroom sink overflow. Will it be covered by my Condo Inusrance I own an upstairs condo in CA. I was going to clean hairbrush in sink, put in plug then phone rang. My sink overflowed to the downstairs condo.When I see this, I immediatedly turned off water, threw down towels to soak up water on my carpet and put fans all around to dry out. so really no damage to my condo but the downstaris condo did.The downstairs already called their insurance ageny. Do I need to call my insurance too? Will my condo insurance cover this? I put in a claim a year and half ago when my toilet misfunctioned and did the same thing downstairs and my insurance paid for that claim

Answer given on July 29, 2013

If your sink overflowed and damaged the downstairs condo unit, your insurance will pay for the damages to that unit, if you were considered negligent. The unit owner downstairs is apparently going through their insurance company. That company will cover their damages and will then probably subrogate against your insurance company. You should report the incident to your insurance company so they will be prepared.This being your second claim on your policy, your insurance rates can go up. It should not be adverse to your insurance policy, such as a threat of non-renewal, since the previous claim was not really negligence on your part, but a malfunction. However, you may want to talk to your insurance agent and confirm this will not be a problem with your insurance company. If they think it might be, you may want to see how much the damage is to the downstairs unit and possibly pay for it yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption