Accident in NY live in FL Can I get compensation for travel and inconveniences

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Barry University, FL

Asked on 01/25/2012

Accident in NY live in FL Can I get compensation for travel and inconveniences I was involved in an accident in NY. The other party is at-fault and covering repairs and rental fees. Is it possible to get compensation for travel fees and inconveniences because I currently live in FL and I am a struggling grad student. The issue is that I had to drive the rental from NY to FL and when my car is repaired I will have to go back to NY and drive it back to FL. Is there a way for the insurance company to pay for or reimburse me for the inconvenience of going back and fourth?

Answer given on January 25, 2012

If the insurance company for the other party has accepted liability for the damages to your car as well as for a rental car, your expenses for the additional travel should be at least, partially reimbursed.If you are getting your car fixed in NY, and have to pick it up there, then any expenses you incur should be covered. That should be considered a part of the loss, including the cost of the gas to go to NY. It is doubtful if you could get reimbursement for your inconvenience, but you can ask for it.Talk to the adjuster and explain your situation. If he refuses to give you any settlement for inconvenience you could try small claims court. You may be able to collect from $500 to $1000, depending upon the limit of small claims court in NY.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption