A Tree Fell on the house im renting

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bells Cross Roads, NC

Asked on 10/07/2015

A Tree Fell on the house im renting A Tree fell in my house in North Carolina that I am renting and it was deemed unlivable. Now me and my kids are displaced. Red Cross provided a hotel for 2 nights and today was the last day. Is my landlord responsible providing a place for me to live? Is he responsible for a hotel? Can someone just tell me my rights and what choices I have because he has a adjuster coming out today and he said nothing about providing me housing and it will be a month or more before I can move back in.

Answer given on January 12, 2016

If a home you are renting is damaged by a storm, the landlord is not legally liable to provide another place to live or a hotel. If he has the correct insurance he may have some coverage for his loss of rents, and he could share with you, but there is no requirement. He should refund your deposit since you can no longer live there.If you had renters insurance, which is very inexpensive, you would have had insurance coverage for loss of use or additional living expenses you incur to live elsewhere. This would not pay your rent, but it could pay for a hotel for a period of time. It would also pay for costs to move to a new location.Finding another place to live is your responsibility. Since you are not paying rent in the previous home, you should have enough money to pay rent at a new location.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption