A frind of mine was in an accident while driving my truck (12/5). I have full coverage so why is my insurance co saying they may not fix it?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Pahrump, NV

Asked on 12/14/2012

A frind of mine was in an accident while driving my truck (12/5). I have full coverage so why is my insurance co saying they may not fix it? my truck was hit from behind at approx mph, the other driver involved never applied his brakes before impact, and come to find out, he doesn't own a Nevada Drivers Licence, he was not written a ticket and I asked several times for his information and the officer on the scene snapped at me and said I would be given a copy of the police report in which all his information would be in there. It has been 9 days and I still have yet to see any such report! All this doesn't seem right to me, and that is why I am contacting you. What am I entitled to, and where do I go from here? Plz Help

Answer given on December 28, 2012

If you were rearended by another car then their insurance should pay for the damages to you. The other driver is not required to have a driver’s license from your state, as long as they have a license somewhere. Presumably they have car insurance somewhere.The police report takes around 10 days to 2 weeks to be completed. You can get a copy when it is ready, but your insurance company, as well as the other driver’s insurance company will get a copy of the report. However, it is only a portion of the settlement process.If you are going through your insurance company, your deductible will apply for collision damage until they settle with the other company. If your damages are below the deductible, they will not pay for your damages. At that time you will need to go through the other insurance company. Since you were rearended, they should accept responsibility for the damages and will work out a settlement with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption