• Insurance Carrier: American Heartland Insurance Company
  • State: IL

Consumer Complaint:

My daughter was involved in an accident where the other driver was at fault.  The damage was minor but is around the value of the car.  After a couple of months of stalling and delays the insurance company finally said the car was totalled and would pay the value of the car.  They sent a check for $167 when the value is around $1000.  We have not cashed it and want to know if we can dispute what they claim is the value of car.

Insurance Expert Answer:

Have the car's owner (your daughter?) sue the driver who hit the car in Small Claims Court. Be prepared to bring in evidence of the car's value, such as print outs from Edmunds.com or KBB.com or the Blue or Yellow Book. The insurance company may increase the offer so it does not have to defend, or your daughter may get a lesson in civics.