If my ex-wife owes me $2500 so the judge said that I could take her car, how do I go about taking it from her?

Asked on January 12, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to get a filed and signed order by the court stating that there is an immediate turnover of title of the vehicle and possession you have written about from your "ex" in payment in full of the $2,500 and have it served upon her by a registered process server.

If she refuses to turn over registration and possession to you, then you file a petition with the court for an order to show cause for contempt of a court order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.