If my wife was pressured into writing a check to a company regarding servicing our electric gate, do I have a right to cancel or can they force me to let them do the work?

Yesterday I called a company to examine my electric gate. It was not working. The advertisement to this company states that they take credit cards. A representative came out and pressured my wife to give a check for $222 which was for part of the price. When I found out the complete price, I called this morning at 830 am and cancelled the job. They said it could not be cancelled because they already purchased the parts. I repeated that we cannot afford it and I want this job cancelled.

Asked on October 20, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, assuming your wife is mentally competent, the law does not recognize a defense to liability or a contract/agreement that someone felt "pressured"--competent adults are required to understand what they are agreeing to and are presumed to only go foward with an agreement if they want the products or services, etc. Therefore, if your wife gave them a check for part of the cost, which shows an agreement to buy the service, then you are obligated to go forward with the transaction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.