What to do if yesterday afternoon when I was shopping in my local grocery store, I slipped in the produce section?

When I slipped I fell sideways causing me to land on my hip and elbow. After pulling myself together and getting up I noticed some mashed up grapes all over the floor where I had slipped. One of the nearby customers witnessed it and came to my aid to help me. She yelled out for the manager. I waited near the area for him to block it off so no one else would fall. I told him what happened and checked out. I went home then came back about an hour later to fill out an incident report. The manager reported it to the insurance company. What do I do now?

Asked on August 13, 2013 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

How were you injured?  WIthout an injury, there is nothing to compensate in a slip and fall case.  You cannot revcover simply because you slipped and fell.  

Christopher Earley / Law Office of Christopher Earley

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor


Sorry to hear about your accident.  Before dealing with the insurance company, consult with a Massachusetts personal injury lawyer.  Under Massachusetts law, it sounds as if you have a case.  Did you suffer any injuries?  If not, there would be no case.  Check out my blog dedicated to all things related to Massachusetts slip and fall law at: http://www.bostonslipandfallattorney.com


Chris Earley

617 338 7400

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.