What to do if I received a speeding ticket for going 85 mph in 70 mph zone?

When the officer printed out the ticket there was no fine, just a court date. The only thing on my driving record is running a red light (you know where the light snaps your license plate) which hasn’t been paid. Other than that my driving record is clear. What should I do; go to court or get a lawyer? And what do you think the outcome would be?

Asked on February 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you appear in court with an attorney to see if you somehow could be sentenced to traffic school in lieu of a traffic infraction conviction on your record where you would end up paying a fine but would not receive the conviction of the offense that you have been charged with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.